Friday, May 16, 2014
Hidden foods that are not Vegan
I never realized how many foods contained gelatin! As part of a Vegan diet no gelatin is allowed. Ok so I get that means taking out jello. I'm ok with that. I can easily find something to replace the jello square I had maybe once a month, but I did not realize that gelatin is hidden in so many other foods. Marshmallows, jams, frosted mini wheats, peanuts and Guiness (that one makes me a little sad) just to name a few. Again this is not that too disheartening as I am not a huge consumer of any of the forth mentioned foods, but it does make me realize I need to look at ingrediant lists a little more carefully. Another interesting tid bit I found while looking into this whole Vegan thing is that red dye contains tiny insects. YUCK! I already try to keep dyes out of the food that we eat but this is even more of incentive.
I'll keep using the thought process that something bought off the shelf should only have 5 ingrediants in it and I should be able to read everything that is listed. No need to put something in my body that I can't read (something that I can't spell is fine as my spelling is lack luster at best :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment